Non-C++ Apps in KDE Main Modules (Was: Guidance in KDE Admin)

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Fri Mar 28 17:38:11 CET 2008

On Friday 28 March 2008, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> > bindings (or wrong interaction between PyKDE and python-dbus)
>
> Trolltech says the issue causing this should be fixed in Qt 4.4 RC1.

That's good news.

> > - it uses a different translation method
>
> It uses gettext, same as kdelibs.  See above for the kdelibs issue.

As I said, I couldn't test, I relied on what was said on k-c-d (see the
post from Chusslove Illich).

> > - it wants to install in /usr/share/..., instead of respecting the
> > KDE install dir
>
> It installs to ${DATA_INSTALL_DIR}.

That was written in the README file:

hal-cups-utils and system-config-printer like to install to
/usr/share/system-config-printer, if you put it elsewhere change the
SYSTEM_CONFIG_PRINTER_DIR variable in printer-applet.py

So I believed it. Or...is system-config-printer another dependency?
Because in that case "It is a Qt port of system-config-printer by Tim
Waugh from Red Hat." is misleading.

> > My opinion did not change, but more, I believe even more that core
> > apps need to be C++.
>
> That attitude will mean we have less programmers and less programmes.

I doubt refusing such apps in core modules will have this effect.

Andras