Non-C++ Apps in KDE Main Modules (Was: Guidance in KDE Admin)

Nicolas Ternisien nicolas.ternisien at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 09:41:28 CET 2008

>  Here is one of the main problems: those apps will work only if you have
>  their bindings installed. But the bindings need to be generated whenever
>  something changes in the libraries, so you might end up with a none-
>  working app in a main module because the bindings were not yet updated.
>
>  My other concern is speed and memory usage. If we start to have a mix of
>  different scripting applications that you have to run in order to have a
>  usable KDE... I have no problems having extensions or even full apps in
>  those languages as long as I am not forced to run them.
>
>  Andras
>  --

Why will your Python app will use something new in the KDE API before
having the binding ready and updated ? Moreover, changes in the KDE
API will only massively be done for major version (KDE 4 ->5), and in
this case, all KDE source code will be broken at once.

About the memory usage, we are currently talking about integrating
*Python* scripting language only, not "a mix of different scripting
applications". I must admit that I was sceptical the first time I
heard guidance was in Python, but in any machine I used it, it always
start fast.