Non-C++ Apps in KDE Main Modules (Was: Guidance in KDE Admin)

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Fri Mar 28 09:51:49 CET 2008

On Friday 28 March 2008, Nicolas Ternisien wrote:
> Why will your Python app will use something new in the KDE API before
> having the binding ready and updated ? Moreover, changes in the KDE
> API will only massively be done for major version (KDE 4 ->5), and in
> this case, all KDE source code will be broken at once.

I never worked with the bindings, but are you sure they always work and
will never break on minor releases? Or that they will be ready at the
same time when a new KDE version comes out? IIRC there were many times
problems with the kdebindings module in KDE3.

> About the memory usage, we are currently talking about integrating
> *Python* scripting language only, not "a mix of different scripting
> applications". I must admit that I was sceptical the first time I
> heard guidance was in Python, but in any machine I used it, it always
> start fast.

I'm pretty sure it works fast on my desktop machine as well, but what
about my laptop with 192MB RAM? Yes, it is outdated, but perfectly
usable for daily, none developing work. If we allow Python apps, we will
have to allow other apps as well. If I can't get a usable desktop
without those apps, I will end up with a bloated system. Guidance is a
border case, because on most systems you can work without it as well,
with the distribution provided tools. But eg. a system settings module
(like desktop configuration or such), a mail client, or even the default
calculator should work without external dependencies.

Andras