reopen trunk for KDE 4.3?

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu Dec 4 10:07:08 CET 2008

On Wednesday 03 December 2008, Matt Rogers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know we haven't implemented the whole "always summer in trunk" scheme, but I
> wonder if we can go ahead and branch KDE 4.2 and reopen trunk. Just for kopete
> alone, I have 3 patches, and a whole new protocol support plugin to integrate
> and I'm sure other projects would benefit from this as well.

The convenience of you being able to commit these things to trunk has to be
balanced with the fact that every bugfix commit from now on would have to be
applied to 3 branches (4.1, 4.2, trunk) unless we drop 4.1.4 (which I wouldn't mind,
but I think it's a bit late to decide that -- it makes a lot of past backporting useless
and a lot of translation work in 4.1 branch useless too).

If you really want to merge things into one more branch, I suggest a work branch,
but I see no reason to impose that additional work onto everyone else.