Delaying KDE 4.1 Alpha 1 ?

Sebastian Kuegler sebas at kde.org
Mon Apr 21 17:09:26 CEST 2008

On Monday 21 April 2008 16:12:08 Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Monday 21 April 2008, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > * if we want WoC and other necessary steps forward in plasma in a
> > rational time frame (e.g. not next year), occassional blips like this
> > will happen and be necessary. bitching about how it will affect an
> > *alpha* release is shortsighted
>
> I have no pain in plasma being less than 100% functional for Alpha1, to be
> exact. The only question that is relevant (besides that I hurt your
> feelings again, I'm sorry really about that): does it help plasma
> development to get user feedback about the current (well todays+2 days)
> state of plasma or not? if you're saying "I don't want anyone to tell me
> about problems" right now, then we have to evaluate a different option. if
> you're saying "there are some problems but we'd still want to have some
> feedback) , then we're good to go.

Before the WoC merge, two people had worked on it, having it in (which really
was a group decision at the sprint) 'elevated its priority' and more people
joined in (locally at the sprint and on IRC). We got it back to something
that looks like a desktop pretty quickly. Although speculative, I doubt this
would have been possible when operating from a branch.

So yeah, pain, but worth it.

> It is an *alpha* release afterall, the amount of feedback it will receive
> will probably be fairly minimal anyway.

And we have a tradition of Alpha releases of Plasma, no? ;-)
--
sebas