Delaying KDE 4.1 Alpha 1 ?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Apr 21 14:31:59 CEST 2008

On Monday 21 April 2008, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> Lets redecide on Wednesday afternoon, okay? No matter how complex the code
> is, it should be able to get something that starts until then.

wel, of course it starts. what we're saying is that if you want a taskbar and
system tray that work reliably, then we probably don't want to tag in its
current condition. there are various of rough edges that will remain that
will get worked out for 4.1, but those two things are something of a show
stopper.

i'll send a status report to the list here on wednesday morning my time, which
will be wednesday afternoon of yours.

> The whole thing shouldn't have been committed in such a broken state to
> trunk to begin with.

what value does this add to the conversation? none.
what does it help to improve the situation? nothing.
what does it do for the mood in the room? less than nothing.

your opinion here is one of those beautiful oversimplifications that contains
assumptions that just aren't true. worse, it's an invitiation to squabble
with someone who lacks all the facts about something that isn't useful to the
conversation.

let me try to be succinct in reply, however:

* i'm not sure since when trunk/ (or, historically, HEAD) was ever supposed to
be 100% working 100% of the time

* we had 4 days to merge multiple trees, do API review and port dozens of
plugins. a lot of people put a ton of effort into making that happen as well
as possible.

* svn does not make this easy (rather, quite the opposite)

* if we want WoC and other necessary steps forward in plasma in a rational
time frame (e.g. not next year), occassional blips like this will happen and
be necessary. bitching about how it will affect an *alpha* release is
shortsighted

hopefully that provides a little more insight into it. please also note that
this is not an invitation to discuss it with you. it's simply informational.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se