Hold Kopete out of KDE 4.0 final

Matt Rogers mattr at kde.org
Sat Sep 29 05:11:32 CEST 2007

On Friday 28 September 2007 01:09:53 pm Urs Wolfer wrote:
> On Friday 28 September 2007 02.16:19 Matt Rogers wrote:

> > > How realistically is it that people will continue to develop or bugfix
> > > kopete if it is not released?
> > >
> > > Dirk
> >
> > That's a good question. I know I'm still working on it, but I only have
> > so much time and there are a lot of things that need to be done.
> >
> > All I see from releasing it with KDE 4.0 is the sheer amount of bugs that
> > will come in. I also tend to look at from the point of view of things
> > that aren't there and need to be done rather than what's currently there
> > and working. Perhaps it's better to just release it and call it 0.50
> > instead of 1.0 like we were shooting for.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> I think this is a good idea. I have tested it some time ago and quite a lot
> of things worked as expected. It's IMHO better to release Kopete. This way
> user find bugs and (hopefully) report them. This makes a "better" release
> for KDE 4.1 possible. If we just hold it out from KDE 4.0, users will not
> have this option, and instead will report the same bugs in KDE 4.1.

Aye, but that's the problem. We already have more than enough bugs and most of
them already cover the things that are missing and broken in Kopete 0.5 since
we have added very little after doing a straight port of Kopete from KDE 3 to
KDE 4 (in comparison to what we wanted to offer, at least0

> Btw: It would probably be a good idea to "look" for new Kopete devs. It is
> a very often used application, and I think there would be for sure new
> developers which are interested in working on it, but don't know where they
> could start in KDE. planetkde? dot?

I'll probably write a post about this later this weekend. I want to compile
some numbers regarding developers (or lack thereof).

Surprisingly enough, the last time I did this, I netted 3 or 4 new developers
out of the 20 or so that responded, which is a nice return on my
investment. :)

So, official verdict: Include current kopete trunk in beta 3 please, if there
is still time.
--
Matt