Hold Kopete out of KDE 4.0 final

Urs Wolfer uwolfer at kde.org
Fri Sep 28 20:09:53 CEST 2007

On Friday 28 September 2007 02.16:19 Matt Rogers wrote:

> > > Indeed it is. Kopete is basically in the same state it was when I wrote
> > > this mail. :(
> >
> > How realistically is it that people will continue to develop or bugfix
> > kopete if it is not released?
> >
> > Dirk
>
> That's a good question. I know I'm still working on it, but I only have so
> much time and there are a lot of things that need to be done.
>
> All I see from releasing it with KDE 4.0 is the sheer amount of bugs that
> will come in. I also tend to look at from the point of view of things that
> aren't there and need to be done rather than what's currently there and
> working. Perhaps it's better to just release it and call it 0.50 instead of
> 1.0 like we were shooting for.
>
> Thoughts?

I think this is a good idea. I have tested it some time ago and quite a lot of
things worked as expected. It's IMHO better to release Kopete. This way user
find bugs and (hopefully) report them. This makes a "better" release for KDE
4.1 possible. If we just hold it out from KDE 4.0, users will not have this
option, and instead will report the same bugs in KDE 4.1.

Btw: It would probably be a good idea to "look" for new Kopete devs. It is a
very often used application, and I think there would be for sure new
developers which are interested in working on it, but don't know where they
could start in KDE. planetkde? dot?

Bye
urs