Move most of kdesupport to extragear

Justin Karneges justin at affinix.com
Sat Nov 10 23:17:34 CET 2007

On Saturday 10 November 2007 1:09 pm, Allen Winter wrote:
> On Saturday 10 November 2007 10:14:04 Tom Albers wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > As a conclusion to the thread this week I want to propose to move
> > everything   except kdewin32   to extragear/libs.
> >
> > The reason is that as far as i know all libs in there have provided
> > tarballs which are the requirement for KDE. KDE does not depend on
> > kdesupport anymore, but on those tarballs as some projects have not been
> > following the release schedule of kdelibs.
> >
> > Without objections before next wednesday, I will start preparations to do
> > the move the monday after that. We need to inform kde-core-devel and
> > adjust techbase articles.
>
> Since these libs are not KDE-based, then they probably don't belong in
> extragear. And we are so close to the release.. I'm afraid to muck too much
> with things right now.
>
> If the packages are willing to go along with the KDE release schedule,
> then I think they should stay in kdesupport.  If they want a completely
> different schedule then we need to do something else.

I always thought kdesupport held projects "close to KDE" but were essentially
independent.  For example, taglib is also released independently, I think?

So this idea of trunk having to stay synced with the KDE release schedule is
news to me.  I just thought we had to have API/ABI stable tarballs ready
before KDE (which I succeeded at).  Moving independent projects out of
kdesupport does seem like a policy change to me, but then maybe I never
understood the kdesupport policy in the first place...

If it is decided that projects should be moved out, please let me know in
advance so I can consider possible arrangements.  I could even just move qca
back into my own repository, which is where it was before Brad Hards invited
me to kdesupport.

> In the case of qca, Justin makes it pretty clear that version 2.0.0 is what
> they expect people to use in KDE4.0.0.  So... I think the best thing to do
> is: 1) remove qca from the kdesupport/CMakeLists.txt
>  2) change the build instructions to say that qca should be installed from
>       distribution packages or from source code
>  3) leave the rest of kdesupport as is

Sounds safe.

-Justin