Move most of kdesupport to extragear

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Nov 11 00:28:35 CET 2007

On Saturday 10 November 2007, Justin Karneges wrote:
> I always thought kdesupport held projects "close to KDE" but were
> essentially independent.  For example, taglib is also released
> independently, I think?

yes.. the challenge is this:

- many of us use kdesupport to get these items (because, well, we've *had* to
since there weren't releases to use; and because we *want* to due to
convenience)

- now, however, we're not supposed to use certain libs in kdesupport to
develop against because of their release cycle

i don't like the idea of moving things to extragear either since it really
only relocates the problem.

what i'd love to see is a branch or tag for kdesupport that i could check out
which would be "the version of stuff to use against KDE's trunk". it would be
up to each project in kdesupport to signal when the merge from kdesupport
trunk to the kde branch should happen.

this way development can happen at any pace desired in trunk/kdesupport, and
we (kde developers) can always just svn up our copy of branches/kdesupport.

thoughts?

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se