kdenetwork 4.0 release?

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Jun 1 17:18:42 CEST 2007

On Friday 01 June 2007 16:49:10 Urs Wolfer wrote:
> I'm right now not sure what to do with the kdenetwork module... Not all
> apps are working very well atm. Matt Rogers (mattr) thinks that Kopete will
> not be ready for 4.0. KRDC is also not ready so far. Probably I will get it
> done for 4.0. I don't know yet.
>
> Apps that will be ready for sure are only Krfb and KGet. Filesharing and
> lanbrowsing: I have not tested them yet. Laurent Montel worked on them and
> thinks that they will be ready. Kppp seems to work, but I have no posibilty
> to test it.
>
> I will drop the remaining apps (Kpf, KWifiManger, KDict) the next monday as
> I have written already a mail to this list.
>
> What do you think? Should we release kdenetwork 4.0 and just disable the
> apps that are not ready in the release? (Of course, we are not going to
> release not working apps...) Or should we not release kdenetwork at all?

What would be the added value of not releasing kdenetwork with 4.0 at all? Why
is a module with three working apps in it (and which is likely to g row after
4.0) insufficient to be added? To me, it sounds pretty normal that a) modules
need to be slimmed down (because of lack of porting / maintainership) and b)
at the beginning of a major release cycle, modules start off smaller.

IOW, why should "kopete is not ready for KDE4.0" affect kget getting in?
AFAIK, technically there is no dependency.
--
sebas

It is your concern when your neighbor's wall is on fire. - Quintus Horatius
Flaccus (Horace)