Are We Ready? Beta1 vs. Alpha3

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Tue Jul 24 16:26:54 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 24 July 2007 16:09:42 Tom Albers wrote:
> > Why do you think that? It sounds a bit based on being hopeful to me
> > :)
>
> I think that because when there is a public beta, more users will use
> the software and run into these problems. Hence increasing the pressure
> on the developers responsible for that part (or annoy a developer so
> much that he will fix it).

But the difference in alpha and beta lies not in the willingness of the
developer to delve in and do work, does it?

What I've been trying to explain, and I feel you are not getting, is that
when kdeprint moves from having 1 input format to having 2 (since Qt4)
that requires a lot of rethinking and work all over the codebase. And I
see that has not been done and that one dialog shows this very clearly.
Your answer that this is just a bug seems to miss the point I'm trying to
make.
Bottom line; if fixing this problem requires certain rewrites and breaking
of stability and possibly the breaking of the API, that to me is a module
that is alpha quality.

> I think all developers have a list of most hated bugs in kde4.
That you say this makes me a bit sad; I'm not using this thread to push a
bug I struggle with.

--
Thomas Zander