[kde-ev-marketing] the "gamma" proposal - details that need working out

Wade Olson wade at corefunction.com
Sat Jul 14 23:12:12 CEST 2007

On 7/14/07, jos poortvliet <jos at mijnkamer.nl> wrote:
> Op Saturday 14 July 2007, schreef Troy Unrau:
> > > I thought that was the plan all along. Why are we arguing about it then?
> > >
> > > Release Team gets code ready and tells Marketing Team: "here, release it
> > > when you find the best time for it".
> >
> > Yeah, more or less.  The only difference is that between the scheduled
> > release and the actual party is like three months, so we were assuming
> > that there would be substantial improvements to the code in those
> > months, especially the translations.  But we still wanted that release
> > announcement to be about 4.0.0, and the way to do that was to shift
> > all the release numbers down by one.  The better solution, as
> > suggested by a few others, is to simply use release names.
> >
> > Cheers
>
> Now onto this proposal: three months. Why do we want it?
> Three reasons I can think off:
> - Stability. We want to give out a message 'this is ready for corporate use'
> - Time. We need time for our release event...
> - Features. We need some support from the community for language packs,
> plugins, applets, plasmoids and other user-generated stuff.
>
> I think for marketing, we should focus on the third. If we tell ppl about the
> first, they will see our 4.0 release as a release candidate. Of course, we
> can mention it later on as an advantage... Second - a bit silly. But the
> third...

I don't know if it's because I wasn't at aAkKademy or not, but I'll
say it again: as someone who's done software for a long, long
time...this discussion makes my head hurt.  Every email gets more
absurd.  I'm more prone at this point to step aside, because I surely
can't help with something I don't understand whatsoever.