Shipping a cursor theme with KDE

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Thu Dec 27 16:35:31 CET 2007

Le jeudi 27 décembre 2007, Sebastian Kuegler a écrit :
> I'd like to add it, but not as default theme. This way it gets more
> exposure, doesn't break anything and makes the artists team somewhat happy.
> They do have a say in this kind of decisions, to a degree where we just
> have to trust them.

Come on, please don't put that as a "we have to trust the artists" issue... I
fully trust them when it's about art but:
1) It has to be pointed that this case could have technical implications;
2) We're really close to the release now, and it just appeared now.

In my previous mail the most important point IMO was the point (4): it's
sending the wrong signal to people...

> We did indeed exempt artwork from the freeze at least partially. It is very
> late, but this way we minimise the possible negative impact and yet give
> the users something extra...

I disagree here, it's a way to do a last "marketing noise" to the last minute,
and it's getting beyond ridiculous in this case.

> Can we settle on adding the Oxygen-cursors non-default?

In this case can I commit a couple of small trivial pet features I have but
disabled by default?
(I hope people are getting my point now... it's fine to freeze artwork later,
but letting the artists in free for all mode for the whole cycle is just no
good for other contributors motivation)

Regards.

PS: And now I blame myself because I sent yet another mail in this thread.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."