General Application Cleanup

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Wed Apr 25 00:30:34 CEST 2007

On Monday 23 April 2007 7:38:55 am Urs Wolfer wrote:
> Hi all
>
> In order to keep our quality, we should do a general application cleanup over
> all modules before the KDE 4.0 release. We have a lot of unmaintained
> applications that are horribly broken, apps that have a small userbase or
> apps that are to specific to keep them in a mainmodule.
>
> Points for cleanup decisions:
> * Is the app well maintained?
> * Is the app in a good shape? If not, was it in a good shape in KDE 3 times?
> * Are there a lot of issues on b.k.o? Check how often issues are reported.
> When has the last issue been reported? If there are less open issues, but the
> app is not in a really good shape, this means the app has a small usebase.
> * If it is an app with a small userbase, is it in a good shape? If it is, we
> can probably move it to extragear.
> * Does that app duplicate functions with another app form a mainmodule?
>
> We should decide which applications we are going to drop as soon as possible.
> When alpha / beta releases are out, people are going to test apps and will
> open bug reports for these apps. This time would be unnecessary lost...
>
> My proposal: Every module release maintainer should go over the codebase and
> decide with the helping points above. For modules without a maintainer,
> everyone is free for doing this work. Before dropping anything, he should
> send a conclusion to this list. If we would do it on a more public list, we
> will get endless discussions (see the "Move KSirc to extragear" discussion).
> The module release maintainer should also inform the last known maintainer /
> developer. It there are no hard objections on this list, he can drop an app
> after one weeks time (and add it on our blackhole list [1]).

I agree.  And I believe this has already been completed in kdepim.
Actually, I started last year with a "Spring Cleaning" initiative.

That's why kpilot was removed from KDE 4... but has since been resurrected.

A first, not-so-hard step is to create a MAINTAINERs file for your module.
No MAINTAINER => candidate for possible removal.

-Allen