[rekonq] Instapaper support in Rekonq

David Narvaez david.narvaez at computer.org
Wed Mar 21 08:24:48 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Siteshwar <siteshwar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> That seems a fair point since not everybody uses Instapaper, and in this
> case we can try to support read later feature which stores page list
> locally. So instead of using Instapaper we can just store list of articles
> to be read later locally and we may (or may not) choose to support
> Instapaper to sync our local read later list ( like bookmarks )
>
> As I said earlier
>
> "So let's say a user starts Rekonq for first time in a Kde session, he
> should get a reminder about pages saved on Instapaper for reading later, or
> notification can be made when user is idle for some time."
>
> I still believe this feature would be very helpful even without Instapaper.
> Thanks, and let me know about your views !
>
> Regards,
> Siteshwar

I'm one of the people that never go back to the TOREAD list again. I
recently had such an experience so I created a list of bookmarks in my
mobile browser and went through it about 2 weeks later when I really
had time, but I actually read them in my laptop. Which brings two
questions/proposals:

* What do you see is the difference between instapaper and a bookmark?
I guess the fact that not all bookmarks are meant to be read later,
right? Some of them are pages you visit a lot, etc. In such a case, I
think you could put them in a TOREAD folder in your bookmarks and you
are good to go.
* One thing instapaper can do better than bookmarks is the fact that I
could have saved my TOREAD from my mobile and then pull the list from
my laptop, and that is syncing. Syncing is getting hot in Rekonq for
next release, so an instapaper provider could be a good proof of
concept for our syncing mechanism, and that's the way I think we
should approach this.

All in all, great idea, I might try that service myself and see if I
can get a bit more organized :)

David E. Narváez