[rekonq] Re: GSOC Idea for Tab Grouping in Rekonq

Tirtha Chatterjee tirtha.p.chatterjee at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 06:33:11 CET 2011

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 5:42 AM, Andrea Diamantini <adjam7 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/20/2011 09:44 PM, Tirtha Chatterjee wrote:
>>
>> Tabbed browsing, when it was introduced, offered huge breakthroughs in
>> browsing comfort. But there has been little changes in the way tabs
>> have been dealt with ever since. This has given rise to two important
>> use cases-
>>
>> 1. Many people use tabs as temporary bookmarks to mark whatever they
>> want to surf or check out later. They just open it up in a new tab.
>> For example, I find a good link or tutorial, and I open up a new tab,
>> so that I can look at it when I have the time. This has given rise to
>> many many unorganised tabs waiting to be viewed. They clutter up the
>> tab strip and make tabbed browsing a harder task.
>>
>> 2. Many users have this specific style of browsing - I look for xyz in
>> Google, then open up 4-5 relevant entries in new tabs. I open up links
>> in these tabs further in new tabs. This increases the number of tabs.
>> Many users today have an average tab count of over 20.
>>
>> Rekonq currently has "<  >" buttons at the end of the tab strip to
>> browse through tabs. But there is no way of organising or grouping
>> those tabs under groups, so that they can be expanded and collapsed at
>> will. This addition will add a logical and more intuitive way of
>> browsing through tabs. Firefox 4 has introduced the Panorama view to
>> group tabs. Opera has also made it possible to group tabs in clusters
>> which can be collapsed, allowing for smooth browsing. I wish to
>> implement this feature in Rekonq as a GSOC project this summer. I
>> would like to have somebody mentor me on this project.
>>
>> Any kind of reviews / suggestions are welcome.
>>

> Hi Tirtha,
> I really like your idea but I have to say this is probably something that
> can fit GSoC 2012 :D
I really hope this can be done in this GSOC though :P
> Anyway, let's talk a bit about. I'll write down here some sparse ideas I had
> thinking a bit about your
> proposal.
>
> - I'd like to add this feature as something available as a rekonq page
> (about:tabs or something like that)
I'd prefer if users don't need to open a separate tab to manage their
tabs, and they can do it from the tabbar itself. However, the
about:tabs can be used to manage sessions, save and load them. Or we
can have menu entries for it.

> - people can group tabs and save groups as "sessions" (let's call them this
> way). Any session consist of a window with the tabs listed there.
Tabs can be put into groups. These tab groups would show up on the tab
bar. We can save all the tab groups into one session. That is what I
would prefer. Then we can load entire sessions of work.

> - rekonq can start up with one of these "sessions".
>
> - about implementation, we basically need to rewrite the MainView class,
> finally removing the hated KTabWidget and providing a... QGraphicsWidget (?)
I guess it is a KTabBar that is used in Rekonq. We can either write a
KTabGroupBar widget or replace it by a QGraphicsWidget entirely. I
think the former would be a safer choice.
> there. This will be super dangerous :)
>
> I like this, but I'm a bit worried from. And I'm really not sure I can
> properly mentor this project on all its parts.
> Can you please detail a bit more your ideas?
I am really hoping I can find a mentor for this :)

--
Tirtha Chatterjee
National Institue of Technology, Durgapur