[rekonq] Re: GSOC Idea for Tab Grouping in Rekonq

Andrea Diamantini adjam7 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 01:12:46 CET 2011

On 03/20/2011 09:44 PM, Tirtha Chatterjee wrote:
> Tabbed browsing, when it was introduced, offered huge breakthroughs in
> browsing comfort. But there has been little changes in the way tabs
> have been dealt with ever since. This has given rise to two important
> use cases-
>
> 1. Many people use tabs as temporary bookmarks to mark whatever they
> want to surf or check out later. They just open it up in a new tab.
> For example, I find a good link or tutorial, and I open up a new tab,
> so that I can look at it when I have the time. This has given rise to
> many many unorganised tabs waiting to be viewed. They clutter up the
> tab strip and make tabbed browsing a harder task.
>
> 2. Many users have this specific style of browsing - I look for xyz in
> Google, then open up 4-5 relevant entries in new tabs. I open up links
> in these tabs further in new tabs. This increases the number of tabs.
> Many users today have an average tab count of over 20.
>
> Rekonq currently has "<  >" buttons at the end of the tab strip to
> browse through tabs. But there is no way of organising or grouping
> those tabs under groups, so that they can be expanded and collapsed at
> will. This addition will add a logical and more intuitive way of
> browsing through tabs. Firefox 4 has introduced the Panorama view to
> group tabs. Opera has also made it possible to group tabs in clusters
> which can be collapsed, allowing for smooth browsing. I wish to
> implement this feature in Rekonq as a GSOC project this summer. I
> would like to have somebody mentor me on this project.
>
> Any kind of reviews / suggestions are welcome.

Hi Tirtha,
I really like your idea but I have to say this is probably something
that can fit GSoC 2012 :D
Anyway, let's talk a bit about. I'll write down here some sparse ideas I
had thinking a bit about your
proposal.

- I'd like to add this feature as something available as a rekonq page
(about:tabs or something like that)

- people can group tabs and save groups as "sessions" (let's call them
this way). Any session consist of a window with the tabs listed there.

- rekonq can start up with one of these "sessions".

- about implementation, we basically need to rewrite the MainView class,
finally removing the hated KTabWidget and providing a... QGraphicsWidget
(?) there. This will be super dangerous :)

I like this, but I'm a bit worried from. And I'm really not sure I can
properly mentor this project on all its parts.
Can you please detail a bit more your ideas?

Regards,

WEB:http://rekonq.kde.org