[rekonq] Re: GSOC Idea for Tab Grouping in Rekonq

Tirtha Chatterjee tirtha.p.chatterjee at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 07:02:11 CET 2011

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 11:03 AM, Tirtha Chatterjee
<tirtha.p.chatterjee at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 5:42 AM, Andrea Diamantini <adjam7 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 03/20/2011 09:44 PM, Tirtha Chatterjee wrote:
>>>
>>> Tabbed browsing, when it was introduced, offered huge breakthroughs in
>>> browsing comfort. But there has been little changes in the way tabs
>>> have been dealt with ever since. This has given rise to two important
>>> use cases-
>>>
>>> 1. Many people use tabs as temporary bookmarks to mark whatever they
>>> want to surf or check out later. They just open it up in a new tab.
>>> For example, I find a good link or tutorial, and I open up a new tab,
>>> so that I can look at it when I have the time. This has given rise to
>>> many many unorganised tabs waiting to be viewed. They clutter up the
>>> tab strip and make tabbed browsing a harder task.
>>>
>>> 2. Many users have this specific style of browsing - I look for xyz in
>>> Google, then open up 4-5 relevant entries in new tabs. I open up links
>>> in these tabs further in new tabs. This increases the number of tabs.
>>> Many users today have an average tab count of over 20.
>>>
>>> Rekonq currently has "<  >" buttons at the end of the tab strip to
>>> browse through tabs. But there is no way of organising or grouping
>>> those tabs under groups, so that they can be expanded and collapsed at
>>> will. This addition will add a logical and more intuitive way of
>>> browsing through tabs. Firefox 4 has introduced the Panorama view to
>>> group tabs. Opera has also made it possible to group tabs in clusters
>>> which can be collapsed, allowing for smooth browsing. I wish to
>>> implement this feature in Rekonq as a GSOC project this summer. I
>>> would like to have somebody mentor me on this project.
>>>
>>> Any kind of reviews / suggestions are welcome.
>>>

>> Hi Tirtha,
>> I really like your idea but I have to say this is probably something that
>> can fit GSoC 2012 :D
> I really hope this can be done in this GSOC though :P
>> Anyway, let's talk a bit about. I'll write down here some sparse ideas I had
>> thinking a bit about your
>> proposal.
>>
>> - I'd like to add this feature as something available as a rekonq page
>> (about:tabs or something like that)
> I'd prefer if users don't need to open a separate tab to manage their
> tabs, and they can do it from the tabbar itself. However, the
> about:tabs can be used to manage sessions, save and load them. Or we
> can have menu entries for it.
one would get an idea of what I wish to implement on taking a look at
this link -
http://arstechnica.com/software/news/2010/11/hands-on-opera-11-tab-stacking-vs-firefox-panorama.ars
And along with this, an option to store all the tab groups into
sessions, and load with them.