[rekonq] Re: GSOC Idea for Tab Grouping in Rekonq

Andrea Diamantini adjam7 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 14:21:45 CET 2011

On 03/25/2011 09:57 PM, Tirtha Chatterjee wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 10:30 PM, Anton Kreuzkamp<akreuzkamp at web.de>  wrote:
>> On Monday 21 March 2011 00:51:27 Andrea Diamantini wrote:
>>> I'd like you to argue a bit more about how you "see" these sessions
>>> working, thanks.
>> Sorry that I answer only now, my spamfilter ate your mail.
>>
>>  From a users pov it would simply be the possibility to
>> - save and close groups of tabs
>> - restore a closed group of tabs
>> (btw. I would propose to handle windows as groups of tabs)
>>
>> technically I would implement sessions as a new node in the sessions-file (easy
>> to do with xml (https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/100604/) ) and change the
>> save/restoreSession() method in sessionmanager.cpp to
>> save/restoreSession(QString&session = QString()) //default: save/restore last
>> session(s)
> I propose this hierarchy for the xml
> root
> -windows
> --sessions [ one of them will be a special session consisting of
> pinned tabs that span accross sessions ]
> ---tabs
> ----history items
>
> This way, a window consists of several tab groups, each group visible
> only one at a time. Some tabs are always displayed in a window, no
> matter which session. These are the app tabs.
>
> This hierarchy is used by both firefox 4 and opera to handle sessions.

(I could not understand if you are subscribed to the ml, hence the
doubled mailing...)

@Anton: thanks for explanation. It seems a good idea, yes. My concerns
about this feature are just about to find a "nice way" to expose it.
Given that (in my opinion) konqueror's is the worst one.

@Tirtha: I like the idea in general. Next step: add it to the Ideas List
page here: http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2011/Ideas#Rekonq

Have a nice day.

WEB: http://rekonq.kde.org