[rekonq] Re: Using git for review

Pierre Rossi pierre.rossi at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 17:24:48 CET 2011

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 14:30, Benjamin Poulain
<benjamin.poulain at nokia.com>wrote:

> On 01/04/2011 01:48 PM, ext Felix Rohrbach wrote:
> > Inspired by a discussion on kde-core-devel mailing list, I thought about
> the
> > review process of rekonq and came to the conclusion that we could use
> more git
> > for it. At the moment, every tester has do download the patch, apply it
> and,
> > after testing, has to clean up their rekonq directory. I think it would
> be
> > less work if everyone contributing regularly to rekonq has his own public
> > clone with a branch for each new review request. Then, on reviewboard,
> you
> > just need to say where your remote is and which branch contains the
> > feature/bug fix. If you get this request via mail, you don't even have to
> start
> > a browser, you just need to fetch the clone and checkout the branch.
> >
> > What do you think about it?
>
> I think we had something working quite well with Gitorious and now it is
> harder to test patches :)
>
> Reviewboard is bad, patches are accumulating, and I think it is harder
> to contribute patches than before.
>
> Can we consider moving back to gitorious? (or any system alike you
> prefer) and just mirror git.kde.org?
>

> The problem with sending full git branches for review is that you have
> the part where it is easy to work with git, but you misses the "review"
> part. How do you comment that line X or Y is incorrect?
>
> cheers,
> Benjamin

+1
I think gitorious offers nicer workflows at the moment.
I'm all for keeping personnal clones on gitorious, using merge requests and
doing the reviews there, and then integrating the patches on gitorious
mainline, which would be sort of "unstable" or a staging area, and merge
that back to git.kde.org only after some sort of a test plan or something
has taken place.
I also believe all of this should be discussed on Sunday in two different
topics (gitorious and test plan).