[rekonq] Re: 0.7 Development: TABS UP

Thijs Heus thijsheus at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 12:39:25 CEST 2010

On Tuesday 28 September 2010 11:54:29 Heinz Wiesinger wrote:
> The idea behind having the tabs on top is to give a visual indication that the
> addressbar is now a member of the tab instead of the whole application (also
> for all other ui components that connect to the page content rather than the
> application itself).
> That being said I haven't looked at the new UI layout yet, so I cannot say if
> this is true for rekonq or not. But from what I remember that was one of the
> reasons the chrome developers mentioned in the beginning.

TBH, I don't understand why we need to give the user any indication on that? As a user, I want rekonq to stay responsive when one tab has difficulties, but that should (in a perfect world) go without saying and should be completely behind the curtains.
If I want a visual feedback that I'm running something completely separate in rekonq, I'd open a new window. Be it with the kwin tabbed window management or not.

So if this signal is the only reason for tabs up, I'd prefer to keep it a la 0.6 and remain closer to the KDE HIG.

Thijs