[rekonq] [ANNOUNCE] rekonq 0.6 stable release

Benjamin Poulain benjamin.poulain at nokia.com
Thu Sep 16 12:58:06 CEST 2010

On 09/15/2010 05:20 PM, ext andrea diamantini wrote:
>     I am personally not a fan of GraphicsView, because it makes the
>     rendering pipeline incredibly complex. But that is unfortunately the
>     best way to get hardware acceleration with openGL for web content,
>     and unfortunately the only way to get 3D transforms for the next ~6
>     months.
>

> Here is the "crucial" point. This eventual switch in rekonq will be
> "epocal". No return back (to WebView) for it. Are things just going
> slower for webview than for graphicswebview? That is, is it possible
> WebView will have THE SAME features GraphicsWebView has, just (let's
> say) one year later?

The current plan regarding QWebView is to get rid of its ChromeClient
and unify it with QGraphicsWebView. QWebView would become an empty
widget, with a QGraphicsView+QGraphicsWebView as a child.

This is because the main interest is today in QGraphicsWebView. It is
what is being developed for MeeGo, WRT, or the web integration of QML.
So we would like to get rid of the two code path in the chrome client.

So in the future, QWebView should have the same feature as
QGraphicsWebView except when in comes to openGL.

Using QGraphicsWebView directly will give us more flexibility, if only
by having all the WebView in the same GraphicsWebView.

> I'm thinking about mailing the QtWebKit list for an hint. Do you think
> it is a good choice?

Always a good idea to get more feedback. Or make the other WebKittens
aware of your plans.
I would enjoy Rekonq gurus being more active on this list :)

cheers,
Benjamin