[rekonq] Kubuntu's Rekonq Wishlist

Jonathan Riddell jriddell at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 17 14:34:11 CET 2010

At the Ubuntu summit last month we had a session discussing a wishlist
for Rekonq.  Some of these have been discussed already on IRC or this
list.  I'm a big rekonq fan, these are just some thoughts from users
who like what you do :)

'''Notes'''
 * Rekonq is innovative browser for KDE.  We like.

'''Wishlist items'''
 * release schedule in line with Kubuntu?
  * Natty release schedule has feature freze on February 24th and
final freeze on April 14th.
 * Clear button returned to URL bar (use case: select URL in konsole,
paste into URL bar), not including it deviates from KDE UI
  * Being discussed on this list already
 * Right-click "open with"
  * adjam: good browsers don't need this. I suggest to help fixing
eventual rendering bugs instead
  * jriddell - not sure what rendering had to do with it.  I've seen
screenshots of the Open With dialogue with dropdown menu button to
select an alternative application.
 * ctrl-w should always close a window, even if it happens to be the
last one
  * adjam: this behavior has been decided from users. I'm ok with any
change here, but doing it every release is suboptimal
 * Different name - rekonq is not really ideal (code doesn't need to
change, just the app name exposed to the user).  or at least a capital
letter to match normal English usage
 * Bookmarks toolbar does not stay hidden on restart
 * smaller spinners in start page previews -- agateau
 * open gzip text files embedded
  * jriddell - this seems to be possible with the right KDE mimetype
hander setttings
 * fix printing and find in embedded okular
  * adjam: YEAH!! Anyway, this means some big changes as the actual
system does not seem supporting it very well and it's not so
"expandable". Targetting 0.7
 * Fix re-open last tabs on startup, doesn't do anything in git
version
 * user agent: can you modify this for websites? this is a horrible
fix for getting to certain features such as yahoo mail, but if i were
to use rekonq full-time, i would definitely need this
  * adjam: scheduled for the first release KDE SC 4.6 based
 * Support for opening links with keyboard (look at vimperator firefox
extension for the way they give keyboard access to links) --
agateau. known as 'access keys' in konqi/kde --nixternal
 * When more tabs are open than can fit on the screen ithe tab bar has a habit
of jumping around the horizontal position of tabs

Jonathan