[rekonq] Extending rekonq through plug-ins?

Krenar Qehaja kedadi at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 20:25:44 CET 2010

Hi Andrea,

Find my answers below

On Tuesday 09 February 2010 16:33:33 Andrea Diamantini wrote:
> Hi Krenar,
> again, the answer is: "not for now".
> Problems about that are:
> 1) I'd like focusing yet development on creating  a lightweight, stable
> and  enough featured browser based on Webkit & KDE. :)
> 2) I'm not sure what is the best way to go for these "plugins":

So far, there are two possibilities: Kross implemented in KOffice and QtScript
implemented in Amarok.

> I'm probably not interested on create just a dev platform over rekonq
> (binary  or script based, no matter). Supporting (in example) Firefox,
> Chrome or (at least) konqueror plugins seem (to me) the right way to go.

I don't know if that's possible. Firefox uses XUL and Chrome probably uses
internal APIs not present on rekonq.

> Anyway, before moving in this direction I really need to understand how to
> do  this and how this will change rekonq behaviour, performances,
> development.

Maybe you should ask for directions: For Kross implementation, Kross devs and
KOffice devs and for QtScript implementation, the Amarok devs (AFAIK, Ian Monroe
did the implementation).

> Last thing: I'm not a Firefox daily user and I never use its extensions
> (no,  wait, I'm using 3: Firebug, AdBlockPlus && MoonLight.)
> Can I ask you what extensions you are used to use?

Mozilla Weave (for tabs, bookmarks and browsing history sync between my
machines), Firebug (can't live without it), AdBlockPlus, Delicious,
Greasemonkey (a subsystem which support JS scripts to manipulate the DOM),
Moonlight and Mozilla Jetpack (a new subsystem introduced recently which
supports extensions written in JavaScript using a jQuery-like syntax).

What I'd like to see implemented on rekonq, is something like Mozilla Jetpack.
Really interesting and lightweight IMHO. It enables anyone who knows HTML,
CSS, and JavaScript to create powerful Firefox add-ons. Take a look at
https://jetpack.mozillalabs.com/ for more info.

Thank you.

Regards,
--