[rekonq] Back from holidays

Andrea Diamantini adjam7 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 02:33:16 CEST 2009

On Friday 17 April 2009 15:29:01 Paweł Prażak wrote:
> We've doing our best :)
>
> Anyway, have you seen new issue tracker?
> http://code.google.com/p/rekonq/issues
> I'd proved itself very handy so far.
>
> About the release, IMO rekonq is to immature to enter the alpha stage yet.
> There are tons of bugs, and those reported on issues list are just the tip
> of the iceberg. The web tabs and urlbar needs a rewrite badly, and  there
> are still basic functionalities missing (like session management for e.g.)
>
> I propose to make the 0.0.6 (and skip 0.0.5) development preview release in
> this mount maybe, and than move forward to the 0.0.9 and finally 0.1 alpha,
> beta, rc, etc... IMO rekonq isn't ready for release, because some bugs are
> more design flaws and need some serious rewrite and refactoring, and those
> couldn't be easily backported.
>
> About "no merging", I understand that what you mean by that is to "feature
> freeze" the mainline code and only to backport bugfixes from development
> branch(es), I'm I right?
>
> I look forward to your email.
>
> Best regards,
> Paweł Prażak
>
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 12:05 PM, Andrea Diamantini <adjam7 at gmail.com>wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I'm finally back from holidays and I'm re-opening my internet
> > connections. I pushed my holidays non-connected work now.
> > I pulled your repositories before going away and trying to manage and
> > merge on
> > mainline.
> > Result: NO MERGING.
> > That's because of a lot of motivations. I anyway added by hand some of
> > your contributions. And I really wanna thank you all for your incredible
> > work.
> >
> > I'm starting to taking a look at this 10 days patches, but I think we are
> > really close to "0.1alpha" release.
> > From 0.1alpha to 0.1 I'd like doing just bug fixing and
> > string-translations.
> >
> > I now need to RUN working. In the evening (UTC time) I will mail again
> > about
> > no-merging motivations and rekonq development model.
> >
> > See (and hear) you soon,
> > Cheers.
> > --
> > Andrea Diamantini
> > MAIL: adjam7_AT_gmail_DOT_com
> > WEB: http://www.adjam.org
> > IRC: adjam_AT_freenode
> > PGP/GPG : 91A712C1
> > Fingerprint: 571E DFF4 19EF A597 2CCD A811 6CB6 3538 91A7 12C1
> >
> > tadarattadara tattà tatatatatà tadarattadara tattà tattattattattà..
> > (me, taking a shower...)

I've seen this "new" issue tracker, but I really don't understand. Why do we
need this? Have you ever tried sourceforge's one?
And why google's is better?
Last months I started moving rekonq from my personal site to sf. I couldn't
still move code to be served just in one support site.
Now we are having 1st KDE help. And having a kde official mailing list is an
important evidence that my (and now our) work is really appreciate.
So, I really don't understand because a so small project needs 3 support
sites. If there are no important and technical motivation (and I think no) I'd
like using just sf and dreaming to be hosted one day on KDE main servers.

About the release plan.. I'd like to release a new rekonq version ASAP. And I
think mainline/master code is a huge step forward 0.0.4 release. And it is
quite stable to use it as a lightweight browser.
So this has to be 0.1 release. I'm thinking about alpha/beta releases to just
fix bugs and improve translations.

Rekonq development model is based on (quite) short releases. From 0.1 to
0.infinite we'll have time to add ALL features we like ;)

I'm going to write two new mails about themes I anticipated on the morning.

Cheers,