plasma 5.24 tars ready for packaging

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Thu Feb 10 18:07:04 GMT 2022

On Fri, Feb 11, 2022 at 1:23 AM Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 9, 2022 at 11:05 AM Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Feb 9, 2022 at 4:30 AM Nate Graham <nate at kde.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Much work is currently in progress to actually fix these issues. I see
> >> multiple merge requests across multiple repos being reviewed and merged.
> >> I think it makes sense to let that process happen. I see no indication
> >> of the issue not being taken seriously, even considering the hyperbolic
> >> and threatening way in which it was communicated mere days before a
> >> major software release that is already occupying everyone's time. Let's
> >> tone down the rhetoric and let developers do their jobs, now that
> >> they've been made aware of this critical issue.
> >

> > Please note that it is extremely important that backports and the making
> of releases containing those backports is a critical part of the process of
> rectifying this issue.
> > It cannot be left to just resolve itself via the organic process of
> users updating their systems to major versions - because that won't happen
> for months or longer and it is likely that the issue will continue to
> intensify before it gets any better.
> >
> > Based on data we have we know that a big proportion of the traffic is
> coming from KF 5.86 based systems so these patches need backporting as
> distributions will not ship major version updates to these users.
> > Patch releases however have a chance (especially if we prod packagers)
> of making their way to those users within a matter of days.
> >
> > To date all mentions I have made of backports being essential have been
> ignored.
>
> I don't know why you are saying you have been ignored. Distributions
> were notified yesterday and I know at least a portion of them are
> working on it.

Please note the timing of the email - it predates the backport request
emails being sent.
Now that the backports process is underway things are looking much better.

> This problem has been ongoing for several weeks now. Mitigations are
> in place, let's give ourselves the time to react.
>
> I don't think that this general feeling of impending doom is making it
> easier for anyone to address the problem.

Prior to the backport process getting underway we were facing the
possibility of the issue dragging on for many months, with the issue
potentially intensifying during that period.
Hence the feeling of impending doom (imagine if you were getting a flood of
bug reports about a single issue and knew that it was only going to get
bigger before it got smaller)

> Thank you for caring.
> Aleix

Thanks,