plasma 5.24 tars ready for packaging

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Thu Feb 10 12:23:35 GMT 2022

On Wed, Feb 9, 2022 at 11:05 AM Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 9, 2022 at 4:30 AM Nate Graham <nate at kde.org> wrote:
>>
>> Much work is currently in progress to actually fix these issues. I see
>> multiple merge requests across multiple repos being reviewed and merged.
>> I think it makes sense to let that process happen. I see no indication
>> of the issue not being taken seriously, even considering the hyperbolic
>> and threatening way in which it was communicated mere days before a
>> major software release that is already occupying everyone's time. Let's
>> tone down the rhetoric and let developers do their jobs, now that
>> they've been made aware of this critical issue.
>

> Please note that it is extremely important that backports and the making of releases containing those backports is a critical part of the process of rectifying this issue.
> It cannot be left to just resolve itself via the organic process of users updating their systems to major versions - because that won't happen for months or longer and it is likely that the issue will continue to intensify before it gets any better.
>
> Based on data we have we know that a big proportion of the traffic is coming from KF 5.86 based systems so these patches need backporting as distributions will not ship major version updates to these users.
> Patch releases however have a chance (especially if we prod packagers) of making their way to those users within a matter of days.
>
> To date all mentions I have made of backports being essential have been ignored.

I don't know why you are saying you have been ignored. Distributions
were notified yesterday and I know at least a portion of them are
working on it.

This problem has been ongoing for several weeks now. Mitigations are
in place, let's give ourselves the time to react.

I don't think that this general feeling of impending doom is making it
easier for anyone to address the problem.

Thank you for caring.
Aleix