Proposal: Dynamic Wallpapers in Plasma

Vlad Zahorodnii vladzzag at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 08:37:19 GMT 2020

On 3/11/20 8:08 AM, David Edmundson wrote:
> We need to tweak the name as we have many wallpapers that are dynamic.
> This is a specific subset within that.

Yes, agreed! I'm open to suggestions. ;-)

> Code wise, we have both sun positions and clock skew management in the
> time dataengine already.

Does the dataengine allow to query position of the Sun at some specified
time?

> I'm fine for things becoming public qml plugins instead of dataengines
> using that code, porting the existing clocks and deprecating the
> dataengine, but we want to avoid duplication of active code.

Yes, this seems quite reasonable.

> What do you need that you can't do as a sequence?

My biggest concern is that they are semantically different. An image
sequence is just a plain animation, while an image collection is a bunch
of images that are stored in one file.

According to Qt documentation, if QImageReader::imageCount() returns a
positive number, it means that the file contains an animated image.

Let's break it down from the user's perspective. If you open a file with
an image sequence, you should see some silly animation. On the other
hand, if you open a file with an image collection, you should see the
primary image and have some way to browse through images in the file,
for example, a sidebar where you can select an image. As far as I know,
GIMP just shows a dialog with all images and you just pick the one you
want to edit.

In order to read an image collection, we just need to know how many
images are stored in a file, jumpToImage() and read(), so maybe Qt folks
could adjust documentation for the QImageReader class. I'm not sure
whether that is doable, though.

Cheers,
Vlad