D26530: ScrollView: Do not overlay scrollbars over contents

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Jan 13 14:00:35 GMT 2020

ngraham added a comment.

  In D26530#592999 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D26530#592999>, @mart wrote:

  > It would already be much better if the track was actually very visible, visually delimiting the space
  >  F7880630: image.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F7880630>

  I think it looks fantastic, or at least it would if that vertical line touched the top and bottom of the view, and the bar were wider so it did a better job of taking up the space in the track. This is in fact how macOS looks when you disable overlay-style scrolling globally, and personally I would like this everywhere -- at least on the desktop. On mobile, then sure, the scrollbars cam be tiny and almost/entirely disappearing. But I just don't like this style on the desktop. I don't think it's a case of, "it's new, I hate it." I'm pertty open to change, and I lived with it on and off on macOS since 2011 (see http://osxdaily.com/2011/08/03/show-scroll-bars-mac-os-x-lion) but never got used to it.

  In D26530#592999 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D26530#592999>, @mart wrote:

  > I do see a problem with it. Qt apps (in general, also beyond the KDE bubble) *do* have a reputation for looking clunky, outdated, and windows95 like, perception i would like to fight, not encourage.

  I agree. However personally I think this impression comes from how typically each view is put within its own frame, rather than separating adjacent views with single-pixel lines like how Kirigami does it (which solves the problem). This leads to horrible frame overload like so: F7880807: Screenshot_20200113_065712.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F7880807>

  I don't think the size of the scrollbars has much to do with it.

REPOSITORY
  R858 Qt Quick Controls 2: Desktop Style