D26530: ScrollView: Do not overlay scrollbars over contents

Marco Martin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Jan 13 14:28:51 GMT 2020

mart added a comment.

  In D26530#593123 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D26530#593123>, @ngraham wrote:

  > In D26530#592999 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D26530#592999>, @mart wrote:
  >
  > > It would already be much better if the track was actually very visible, visually delimiting the space
  > >  F7880630: image.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F7880630>
  >

  > I think it looks fantastic, or at least it would if that vertical line touched the top and bottom of the view, and the bar were wider so it did a better job of taking up the space in the track. This is in fact how macOS looks when you disable overlay-style scrolling globally, and personally I would like this everywhere -- at least on the desktop. On mobile, then sure, the scrollbars cam be tiny and almost/entirely disappearing. But I just don't like this style on the desktop. I don't think it's a case of, "it's new, I hate it." I'm pertty open to change, and I lived with it on and off on macOS since 2011 (see http://osxdaily.com/2011/08/03/show-scroll-bars-mac-os-x-lion) but never got used to it.

  I may take a look into changing the breeze style do do such line, tough i would like that:

  - breeze qwidget also supports disappearing scrollbar on touch (and hmm, configurable :p)
  - on mobile scrollbar behavior is always hiding, and overlay
  - even change on the fly when flicking a view with touch (and change back when the mouse is used):  this is fine to be qml only as flicking is not really going to work correctly with qwidgets.

  > I agree. However personally I think this impression comes from how typically each view is put within its own frame, rather than separating adjacent views with single-pixel lines like how Kirigami does it (which solves the problem). This leads to horrible frame overload like so: F7880807: Screenshot_20200113_065712.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F7880807>
  >
  >   I don't think the size of the scrollbars has much to do with it.

  yes, i'm saying that the patch besides putting the separation in the frame, it also reintroduces the frame by default, which is unrelated (and i think it should be avoided)

REPOSITORY
  R858 Qt Quick Controls 2: Desktop Style