D26530: ScrollView: Do not overlay scrollbars over contents

Marco Martin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Jan 13 11:55:02 GMT 2020

mart added a comment.

  In D26530#591355 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D26530#591355>, @ngraham wrote:

  > Yeah, I really dislike the fully-disappearing scrollbars too, for the same reason. I also like the GNOME approach when overlay-style scrollbars absolutely have to be used. That seems like a genuine innovation.
  >
  > However I've found myself surprised by the volume of comments I've received over the past year or two from users across all platforms (emails, blog comments, social media, bug reports) complaining about the thin scrollbars. There seems to be a lot of user irritation by our changes here.

  the hit target didn't decrease, and they are still very visible. The only thing behind this widespread complaint is really a perception of "is a new trend, therefore it must be bad" no matter if it's well balanced and the good things of such trend have been taken, fixing the problems

  > Personally I have to agree. I just don't see the problem with old-fashioned scrollbars with a visually separated track on the desktop. They clearly communicate your position in the scrollable view, their large click area makes them easy to grab, and they're not ugly if you render the track nicely.

  I do see a problem with it. Qt apps (in general, also beyond the KDE bubble) *do* have a reputation for looking clunky, outdated, and windows95 like, perception i would like to fight, not encourage.

  > There's a #consistency <https://phabricator.kde.org/tag/goal_consistency/> angle too. We don't want scrollbars in Kirigami and other QML apps on the desktop to look different from the scrollbars in QWidgets-based apps.

  yes, i would like the qwidget ones to look better instead :/

REPOSITORY
  R858 Qt Quick Controls 2: Desktop Style