D24483: [Weather data engine] Handle windy conditions in NOAA backend

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Oct 9 15:22:57 BST 2019

kossebau added a comment.

  Disclaimer: nowhere a meteorologist myself, kitchen talk quality at best :)

  I have to tell I have no idea how "wind" actually matches the category and what general cloud/sky conditions could be derived. Where I have lived, wind as in: fast moving air masses with resulting air turbulence near the ground has been happening with clear sky, cloudy sky, overcast & all kinds of precipitation or not. I cannot remember wind to have been the main weather property describing the overall condition, unless perhaps being a storm, which then usually implies very cloudy sky.
  So for me wind always has been its own separate category, reported next to cloudiness and precipitation which both would be used to describe the main condition.

  The proposed placeholder icon also would not have matched my immediate idea if someone said "a windy day" where I would have rather expected a mix of clouds and sun. Actually fog would rather be seen with no wind usually?

  Do we have a definition what NOAA means when they talk about "windy day", so there is an idea what overall condition properties would be mapped onto this term instead of any of the others?

REPOSITORY
  R120 Plasma Workspace