D21884: [Touchpad KCM] Do not crash in case there is no touchpad

Roman Gilg noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Jun 18 20:36:47 BST 2019

romangg added a comment.

  In D21884#481567 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D21884#481567>, @beischer wrote:

  > Roman, with this patch the box with 'No touchpad found' is shown under X11, too:
  >
  > F6907948: no_touchpad.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6907948>
  >
  > Since I'm not the author of the code my intention was to fix the bug with as little side effects as possible. In Plasma 5.15 the code created a  TouchpadConfigXlib instance in case there was no touchpad, so that's what I went with here.

  Yea, didn't mean this patch shouldn't go in. Was just some contemplating on what's the strategy moving forward.

  > If the user plugs in a device later, it looks like that should trigger XlibBackend::devicePlugged() which will reset the mode to the correct mode (see findTouchpad()). The next time the KCM touchpad is opened it should then show the correct set of (activated) controls.

  Ok, that would be even better. Only drawback is then that it shows the "wrong" interface in case libinput is used until a touchpad is plugged, but that's such an uncommon case that I don't think we should invest much more time into it. On the other side since libinput is the default backend in the future it might make more sense to show the libinput one per default if no touchpad is plugged in. Would this also be possible or is the current X libinput backend missing this funcitonality? At least from user perspective it could be confusing to see the non-default backend on the workstation without touchpad and something completely different on his laptop.

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop

BRANCH
  bug-408325 (branched from master)