D18419: Adjust some KCMs to implement new Appearance section layout

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Jan 25 21:39:39 GMT 2019

ngraham added a comment.

  Thanks @abetts, I appreciate the support, but I feel like it should not be for the reason that "the wave is to reorganize right now". This has nothing to to with popularity or momentum; it's because the reasons previously given for waiting wait are not valid. We cannot spare our users from churn and incremental changes that break muscle memory and invalidate documentation because we lack the resources and long release cycles necessary to do the one thing that would avoid that: making all changes in the span of a single release. Because we don't have that option, we are *already * doing those things every time we port KCMs one-at-a-time, change strings, even improve icons! Waiting for the re-org on the grounds that we want to avoid burdening our users with constant change things does not make sense because we are already doing this with every release. In fact, there is no option not to; our fast release cycles and limited resources make it impossible.

  I do agree that it's important to make the minimum number of changes to avoid jerking users around and keep the churn as low as possible. However that's not an argument for waiting years and years to do this (or anything), it's an argument for ensuring that we make high-quality, well-considered changes that do not need to be reverted later. I encourage anybody who's nervous about this to participate in T8871: Systematic KCM reorganisation <https://phabricator.kde.org/T8871>, which is where we're coming up with the plan. The more people who participate in that process, more the conclusion will reflect a consensus view that avoids controversy and and the impulse to redesign--which are after all signs and symptoms that the original design was not good enough.

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop