D18419: Adjust some KCMs to implement new Appearance section layout

Andres Betts noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Jan 25 21:46:11 GMT 2019

abetts added a comment.

  In D18419#399881 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D18419#399881>, @abetts wrote:

  > In D18419#397699 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D18419#397699>, @ngraham wrote:
  >
  > > I'm trying to get a sense of when we should do this.
  > >
  > > 1. Improve text on existing QWidgets KCMs to conform to the HIG
  > > 2. Re-arrange weird layouts for existing QWidgets KCMs to conform to the HIG
  > > 3. Port all QWidgets KCMs to QML
  > > 4. Merge various KCMs together (e.g. Icons and Emoticons, Widget Style and GNOME Applications Style (GTK))
  > >
  > >   Between which items should this re-org be located?
  >

  > I my mind, it would be #5 since we know that through the porting and improvements we make to the kcms, we end up making them look vastly different, in some cases. This makes it so that a KCM doesn't really belong to the same category anymore. We also discovered that we have a few KCMs with just a couple of options that would make them move to a new category. That would change the organization again.

  You're debating me on something I am not suggesting. I am not saying "stop reorganization, do it only just once". I am saying, let's take a piecemeal approach, little by little (which is our only option, really) and let users be eased into a new organization. I hope that's clear. What I am also saying is that it is best to take this reorganization piecemeal approach right now and come to a conclusion with it. One that can last for years. In essence, take the step by step reorg now. However, once we complete that work, we should hold off from reorganizations afterwards.

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop