D11848: [Kickoff] Reduce hover delay before switching tabs

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun May 27 13:42:48 UTC 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  Henrik, if you move your cursor that slowly, even a triangle menu filter won't help you. Try such a slow speed with any other sub-menu paradigm. If I move my cursor as slowly as you depict in your video in Kicker or a sub-menu in one of our apps, I get the same effect.

  F5871730: Kicker.webm <https://phabricator.kde.org/F5871730>

  Triangle menu filters are actually accelerators for experts. For decades, I've observed regular users move their cursors in straight horizontal and vertical lines to access sub-menus. They intuitively grasp that they shouldn't pass the cursor over another content area. It's only experts who want to move in quick diagonal lines and whose high-efficiency use cases are enhanced by triangle filters. And it's important to support experts! But we mustn't forget "Simple by default".

  FWIW, I'm all for the triangle menu filter, myself. Sadly I lack the technical ability to do it; that kind of back-end algorithmic programming is quite far from my area of expertise. I was kind of hoping that @davidedmindson would revive his old code for it. But for the above-mentioned reasons, I don't think this is a prerequisite.

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop

BRANCH
  faster-kickoff-tab-switch-on-hover (branched from master)