D13064: reimplemented drop-down menu arrow in toolbuttons in case of instant inline popup

Hugo Pereira Da Costa noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed May 23 20:59:54 UTC 2018

hpereiradacosta added a comment.

  In D13064#267357 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D13064#267357>, @abetts wrote:

  > In D13064#267356 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D13064#267356>, @ngraham wrote:
  >
  > > 'Fraid I gotta disagree with you on this one, @abetts. I think it's important to signal that these buttons will bring up a menu because without that, there is no way to distinguish it from an ordinary action button. It's the same reason why comboboxes have arrows rather than looking like a pushbutton.
  > >
  > > But there's a deeper reason. With the downward-pointing arrow, users are signaled that the button doesn't initiate an action (which may be unknown, non-undoable, possibly dangerous, etc), but rather displays a menu of textual, easy-to-understand options. In essence, the arrow says, "this > is safe, go ahead and click me even if you don't know what I might do". Without the arrow, fearful users might avoid clicking on the menu button because they don't know what it will do and nothing hints at them that the button brings up a benign menu rather than immediately executing a > If we must use the arrow, can there be a visual merge that is more consistent? Like this:
  >

  > F5865549: order.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F5865549>
  >
  > Notice how the arrow butts into the icon keeping the overall rectangular shape the same. When we do icon + arrow visually we are making the button longer and seems disconnected.

  The suggestion looks nice (definitly better than current implementation). However there is really no easy way to implement this in a generic way, at the widget style level, in a fashion that will work with "all' icon, and "all" icon theme
  (try to do something that works with oxygen icons ...)

  On the other hand, if the idea is that we should design special icons for actions that actually open a menu, then I am all for it (and that would allow again to get rid of the arrow). As a matter of fact, this is exactly what happens for the "hamburger" icon. This one is designed to say "I am a menu" and first thing you want to do is to remove the arrow for those ...

REPOSITORY
  R31 Breeze