D13064: reimplemented drop-down menu arrow in toolbuttons in case of instant inline popup

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed May 23 21:02:19 UTC 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  In D13064#267358 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D13064#267358>, @hpereiradacosta wrote:

  > Should we also add a symbol on icons to say that they are non-dangerous ? (even if not a menu ?)

  In fact, we already do signal danger by using red icons for potentially destructive actions.

  In D13064#267357 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D13064#267357>, @abetts wrote:

  > My thoughts come from a more foundational level. At ground level, to signal or not signal that the menu does or doesn't open a new window or a dropdown menu is irrelevant because the user doesn't care for what happens with the button prior to clicking it.

  I think we've come to the real question: does the user click on the button even if they can't work out ahead of time what it does? If they do, then signaling isn't very important, because they will learn by doing. But if they don't, then it's important to provide as many signals as possible so we can coax them into feeling comfortable enough to click on it in the first place.

  This is part of the icon's job, after all: to signal what it will do if you click it. That's why we design our icons first and foremost to be clear and descriptive rather than abstract and artistic. In my mind, the downward-pointing arrow is just an extension of this logic.

REPOSITORY
  R31 Breeze