D12969: [Kicker] Only show "Add to Panel (Widget)" When there's no Task Manager

Christian noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue May 22 15:16:29 UTC 2018

Fuchs added a comment.

  In D12969#266503 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12969#266503>, @hein wrote:

  > In that case I would honestly argument for dropping Task Manager pinning entirely: I've never entirely liked that it complicates the Task Manager toward doing multiple things, and that makes it have to contend with having different-sized items, and that means launchers aren't just straight-forward panel items that can be moved anywhere (this gets a lot of user bug reports too btw).

  Oof. As a user of icon-only task manager I heavily rely on pinned tasks, as they work great for muscle memory and otherwise the task manager is just an empty waste of space.
  And I don't think it's only a lack of feature parity, if you have launchers and a task manager you end up with two entries if the application is running, and for icon-only task manager both of them will look almost the same  (except the little bar showing it is a window).

  Personally I'd rather get rid of the launcher widget thing, since this is also what Windows does and, as far as I am aware, what Mac OS does (I don't use a Mac, but I think the dock there is mostly this)

  I assume this is one of the areas where lot of people have different workflows  (i.e. I would never use the "icon only" thing I wrote myself, but multiple people asked for it and it seems to greatly improve their efficiency) and thus we have loads of options.
  Personally I am in favour of keeping most of them if possible, just with sane defaults and also (more) sane ways of accessing them.

  So I would prefer some discussion and mind-mapping before throwing more patches at it, as this will spread the discussion over various places.

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop