D12969: [Kicker] Only show "Add to Panel (Widget)" When there's no Task Manager

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue May 22 15:26:02 UTC 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  The idea was that nobody who uses a task manager would actually want to create launchers instead of pinning their apps to it. Perhaps that was not totally true, but with Christian's patch, I think it can become even more true, because the patch addresses the case where someone wants the app's icon to never move or disappear once launched.

  If we deleted pinned Task Manager app items in favor of launcher widgets we would lose some of the current functionality provided by pinned TM apps:

  - Jump lists in context menu
  - Ability to remove the icon when an instance is open in the Task Manager
  - Ability to re-order or remove even when widgets are locked

  With an Icons-Only Task Manager, there's even less of a reason to remove the pinned apps concept because they are arbitrarily re-orderable.

  But that said, I don't think we can remove standalone launchers entirely. It's totally fine functionality, so long as you don't get it mixed up with what the Task Manager does. The purpose of this patch was to simply hide the standalone launcher functionality a little bit so that people who want it have to go out of their way to get it, instead of getting confused when they pin some apps, and create launchers for others, and have no idea why the two don't behave the same.

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop