plasma-devel to auto-discard non-subscribers?

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Tue Jun 19 15:31:18 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 4:06 PM Harald Sitter <sitter at kde.org> wrote:

> Heya
>
> I've been moderating the plasma-devel list for 6 months now, and in
> that time I've seen **one** legitimate pending email. Everything else
> was spam. At least one spam mail per day pretty much.
>
> I really do not think this list doesn't benefit from a moderation queue.
>
> There is just about no non-subscriber traffic, and even when there is
> I would expect a person sending a mail to a developer mailing list to
> be able to read the auto-discard notification email they'd get back
> and subscribe. So what's left is the useless chore of manually
> discarding spam email at the off chance that something useful pops up.
> We moderate daily at most (usually weekly really) because it's almost
> exclusively spam, the useful mail would unnecessarily get stuck in
> moderation for quite a while. Had the sender gotten an auto-discard
> notification they'd have been able to fix it on their own much faster.
>
> So, I propose that we change the list setting to auto-discard. It's
> better for everyone really.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> HS

I've been also moderating the list and I have the feeling that there's
been some legitimate traffic albeit not a lot.

In general, I think it's good that we can tell people to send an
e-mail to plasma-devel at kde.org and discuss things, if auto-discard was
the norm we're then unable to do that.

Aleix