plasma-devel to auto-discard non-subscribers?

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Tue Jun 19 14:05:34 UTC 2018

Heya

I've been moderating the plasma-devel list for 6 months now, and in
that time I've seen **one** legitimate pending email. Everything else
was spam. At least one spam mail per day pretty much.

I really do not think this list doesn't benefit from a moderation queue.

There is just about no non-subscriber traffic, and even when there is
I would expect a person sending a mail to a developer mailing list to
be able to read the auto-discard notification email they'd get back
and subscribe. So what's left is the useless chore of manually
discarding spam email at the off chance that something useful pops up.
We moderate daily at most (usually weekly really) because it's almost
exclusively spam, the useful mail would unnecessarily get stuck in
moderation for quite a while. Had the sender gotten an auto-discard
notification they'd have been able to fix it on their own much faster.

So, I propose that we change the list setting to auto-discard. It's
better for everyone really.

Thoughts?

HS