plasma-devel to auto-discard non-subscribers?

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Wed Jun 20 08:35:22 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 5:32 PM Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 4:06 PM Harald Sitter <sitter at kde.org> wrote:
> >
> > Heya
> >
> > I've been moderating the plasma-devel list for 6 months now, and in
> > that time I've seen **one** legitimate pending email. Everything else
> > was spam. At least one spam mail per day pretty much.
> >
> > I really do not think this list doesn't benefit from a moderation queue.
> >
> > There is just about no non-subscriber traffic, and even when there is
> > I would expect a person sending a mail to a developer mailing list to
> > be able to read the auto-discard notification email they'd get back
> > and subscribe. So what's left is the useless chore of manually
> > discarding spam email at the off chance that something useful pops up.
> > We moderate daily at most (usually weekly really) because it's almost
> > exclusively spam, the useful mail would unnecessarily get stuck in
> > moderation for quite a while. Had the sender gotten an auto-discard
> > notification they'd have been able to fix it on their own much faster.
> >
> > So, I propose that we change the list setting to auto-discard. It's
> > better for everyone really.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > HS
>
> I've been also moderating the list and I have the feeling that there's
> been some legitimate traffic albeit not a lot.
>
> In general, I think it's good that we can tell people to send an
> e-mail to plasma-devel at kde.org and discuss things, if auto-discard was
> the norm we're then unable to do that.

Sure, but then if their mail is stuck in moderation for a week, what's
the use? What kind of a discussion is that where one party has to wait
a week for their correspondence reaching everyone else?

It's nice to be able to tell them that they can just send a mail, in
practice that would also need sufficiently timely moderation in order
for that to be worthwhile.

Maybe iff there was 1 spam mail per week I can see that working out,
otherwise the noise caused by the spam will drown out the legit
moderation needs. Maybe if you have >10 mods you could make that sort
of make it work (assuming all check about weekly and do so in a
spread-out enough fashion to actually give ~daily coverage ;)).

HS