New widgets to plasma

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Fri Sep 15 18:46:36 UTC 2017

Cool widgets, I've heard some users using them - Thanks for helping build
the Plasma base.

>There were some requests from users of various distributions to add these
widgets as official projects. This would allow them to reach more distros
-> users.

I think that's a problem in itself. The whole base of Plasma is about the
extensibility of 3rd parties, and yet ultimately we hit this every time.

In general I want to break down that perception of everything having to be
"official". Especially as ultimately it ends up with  us being burdened
with being expected to maintain (and in a few years port) a million billion
things.

Also, I do want us (upstream Plasma) to get into a better habbit of writing
proper public API QtQuick imports. Your active window control would be
easier for you to distribute if that wasn't for that C++ libdbusmenu-qt
plugin.
Separate to this discussion, lets fix that regardless.

---

That said, as for your things specifically:

The code's good. I'd love for you to join us as a Plasma dev :)

I think they're maybe too niche for plasma-desktop/plasma-workspace.
Especially the redshift.
but putting them in extragear (either as your separate projects or in
kdeplasma-addons), would be fine with me.

David