New widgets to plasma

Martin Kostolný clearmartin at zoho.com
Fri Sep 15 18:14:12 UTC 2017

Hi,

I'd like to add some of my widgets to official widget bundle in plasma. Namely:
- redshift-control (https://github.com/kotelnik/plasma-applet-redshift-control)
- active-window-control (https://github.com/kotelnik/plasma-applet-active-window-control)
(maybe other if it makes sense)

I realize that they have issues:
- redshift-control is Xorg only and I know that we don't want to add new xorg-only stuff
- awc has awfully complicated settings (I'll improve that eventually, but it will still be very configurable)

There were some requests from users of various distributions to add these widgets as official projects. This would allow them to reach more distros -> users.

So my question is - is it a good idea to add them to standard plasma widgets? Or does it make more sense to just make them official KDE but completely separate single projects? The latter was my initial intention but I was asked in incubation request if I queried you guys first, so here I am :-). I will also be ok with "no-adding-at-all" answer.

Anyway, thanks for all the great work you do!
Martin