Plasma Mobile on the Librem 5 (please ignore previous two mails)

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Mon Sep 4 18:00:57 UTC 2017

> [...]
> Well, for having both as separate offer (if GNOME hits the pace), is not
> an issue. I am wondering if having both at the same time on phone will
> end up being to much (how many libraries are there that one uses and
> other DE doesn't), also depending on disk space, you don't want to eat
> like 20% of all space for base OS.

Just commenting on that point: I think having two DEs on a phone with
some kind of "desktop switcher" is a terrible idea. I think it would
be much more maintainable if we spin two separate base images, and in
case someone wants something different they can just swap those (we
will offer those images on our website anyway).

Giving users the choice to switch between desktops randomly when using
the phone is a bad thing usability wise (it's not a simple thing, and
radically changes the appearance of the UI), requires additional
engineering effort and is generally harder to maintain and support
(because we will have multiple configurations and mix of technology on
one image).
Shipping the phone with one default image and offering others on our
site that people can put on their phone seems to be a much better idea
to me.

> I had pretty unstable experience with KDE in Debian, so I assume that
> KDE community will improve that in future (we need more Debian KDE
> maintainers!) ;)

When exactly was that? ;-) But yeah, the Debian KDE team would be
happy for any additional help.