Plasma Mobile on the Librem 5 (please ignore previous two mails)

Martin Flöser mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Sep 4 20:29:12 UTC 2017

Am 2017-09-04 19:51, schrieb Zlatan Todoric:
> I had pretty unstable experience with KDE in Debian, so I assume that
> KDE community will improve that in future (we need more Debian KDE
> maintainers!) ;)

Personal opinion as a long time Debian testing user (~10 years) and KDE
contributor following:

The packaging of Debian is really not great and questionable. As an
example: currently testing ships Qt 5.9 in combination with KWin 5.8.
KWin 5.8 does not compile against Qt 5.9, patches exist in master and I
refused to backport them to the 5.8 branch as that is untested. Debian
shipped that without even consulting with upstream developers. I think
that is extremely bad practice from a distribution. They know me, they
know they could ask for my opinion.

The task-kde does a really bad default package selection. As an example:
it installs Konqueror as the default browser in the favorites section of
the launcher while at the same time warning against QtWebKit based
browsers in the release announcement.

When I install Debian it looks to me like a try to package everything
and provide everything. But not like trying to get a decent desktop
experience. If you compare that to openSUSE or KDE Neon - that are huge
differences.

And honestly I don't think it's something the Debian team cares about:
it's much more important to have the "perfect" package. After all they
constantly re-invent the wheel instead of using the already packaged
software by Kubuntu or KDE Neon (hopefully that improved, but looking at
the recent commits it doesn't look like it:
https://anonscm.debian.org/git/pkg-kde/plasma/kwin.git/commit/?id=1cf72f55228a59fb37649c8f8a29cc509a8881b1
).
If you literally waste time like that, it's no surprise the quality
suffers :-(

Just my 2 cents as someone who has been annoyed by the lack of
collaboration between Kubuntu and Debian for years

Cheers
Martin