Plasma Mobile on the Librem 5 (please ignore previous two mails)

Zlatan Todoric zlatan.todoric at puri.sm
Mon Sep 4 17:51:31 UTC 2017

Hey Thomas,

On 09/03/2017 02:16 AM, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> Hi Zlatan,
> please ignore my previous two mails mail to you which were both sent
> from the wrong address (sorry for that, new computer with no proper
> email client yet and GMail is terrible when it comes to multiple email
> addresses).

heh, no worries.

> On Sat, Sep 2, 2017 at 5:23 PM, Zlatan Todoric <zlatan.todoric at puri.sm> wrote:
>> (Cleared all previous mails to make this one more visible, feel free to
>> respond on this one while quoting previous replies in this thread)
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> so I had discussion with our CEO and he is of course absolutely in.
> Great to hear!
>
>> To make clear our standpoint - both GNOME and KDE *will* be first class
>> citizen on Librem5. So there is no favorite between two, but both are
>> equal in this challenge.
>> That said, looking in general code readiness between two, it would
>> appear that plasma mobile would be default in first wave of librems (we
>> are not releasing until one DE is ready for it and we will also not wait
>> for other DE to be ready but gradually add it).
> Makes sense.
>
>> There is some discussion
>> in terms of offer - do we want to offer Librem5 with choice of having
>> Plasma or GNOME or do we have both right away inside (maybe to heavy for
>> such device)  so users can pick during boot-up?
> Sounds like quite a challenge, but if you can make it work, why not?

Well, for having both as separate offer (if GNOME hits the pace), is not
an issue. I am wondering if having both at the same time on phone will
end up being to much (how many libraries are there that one uses and
other DE doesn't), also depending on disk space, you don't want to eat
like 20% of all space for base OS.

>> Also, while currently we are offering PureOS with GNOME as default on
>> Librem13/15, I think there is future for KDE as desktop offering by
>> default as well (also as an option PureOS GNOME and PureOS Plasma/KDE)
>> because the convergence might be very interesting choice for many users
>> and your desktop is very modular for fine tweaking.
> Great to hear that as well, and of course we agree that Plasma Desktop
> and Plasma Mobile work great in tandem!

I had pretty unstable experience with KDE in Debian, so I assume that
KDE community will improve that in future (we need more Debian KDE
maintainers!) ;)

>> Now that is said - what suggestion do you have for a meeting around
>> promoting collaboration between Purism and KDE regarding Librem5?
>> Videoconferencing or async via mail? Other tools? I would add to the
>> discussion our CEO, CMO and Director of Creative.
> Yes, that's certainly useful!
> Video conference sounds good since it's always nice to see people when
> getting to know them. Which system do you usually use for video calls?
> We've been using Jitsi Meet or OpenTokRTC so far.
>
> From our side apart from Sebastian it would be Bhushan (Plasma
> Mobile's maintainer), Paul from the KDE promo team, me (Thomas, member
> of the board of directors of KDE e.V. and member of KDE's design
> team), and potentially others who might want to join.

Everyone is welcome!

> What times would work best for you?

I will write separate mail to propose time after I answer few more mails
in this thread.

> Looking forward to the meeting,
> Thomas
Z (excited as well)