First bridge status: crossed

Paul Brown paul.brown at kde.org
Fri Oct 20 07:57:24 UTC 2017

On Friday, 20 October 2017 04:10:13 CEST Todd Weaver wrote:
> Thanks Paul!
>
> We are beginning interviewing low-level devs next week, and per our
> collaboration, will be advancing KDE plasma, and should soon (within a
> month probably) have the proper liaison and tools in place to advance
> this forward. Also we will begin testing KDE plasma on the development
> units once we get those into that hands of Matthias, and the internal
> KDE folks!
>
> Things are looking up!

They are. I only have anecdotal evidence of the following, but it seems like
naysayers are backing off. In the last weeks, browsing around, forums, Reddit
and media outlets, I have mostly found positive and hopeful reactions.I think
having reached the crowdfunding goal and adding more endorsements from Monero
and Nextcloud has helped a lot.

In fact, I had a piece prepared, a kind of snarky FAQ, designed to refute the
most common naysaying arguments, and now and it is not relevant any more. The
general mood has changed from "they won't be able to pull it off" to "please
take my money!".

Another thing that may have helped, at least in the more technically
knowledgeable niche, is how Purism has managed to bypass Intel's Management
Engine. That has added even more credibility to the Purism brand.

Cheers

Paul

--
Promotion & Communication